Officially 3D certified!

On September 29th, 2017 at 5:00pm, I was officially 3D certified by the Toronto Public Library. So there may not be a physical certification stating "Certified 3D Printer User" but I can now use the 3D printers at the selected hubs in the various Toronto Public Library locations.

My friend Victoria and I were pretty interested in 3D printing and design. Before we could dive into printing our miniature scale version of the Toronto skyline or making matching keychains for our friends, we had to attend an introduction workshop to learn about the basics and procedures when dealing with a 3D printing machine.

We took our seats and the first thing that caught our eye was the machine, the Ultimaker.
The Ultimaker
I was pretty excited to hopefully walk out with something printed but before I could do that, I had to listen to a presentation about the machine and policies. I learned a lot about the machines--the different types, the materials it uses, and the different things you can make with a 3D printer. It's not just little toys that you can make but even prosthetics!
Some cool things that was made from the printer
After hearing the presentation, I realized that it would take hours to create something a small as a dice so I was a tad disappointed that we didn't even get to have a short hands-on session with the printer. I suppose we did come into the workshop thinking that we would at least do some sort of activity but we didn't. However, I am now officially certified which also allows me to join other workshops that has that hands-on aspect I want.

This was a great introductory workshop and in that one hour timeframe, we learned a lot about 3D printing so I highly recommend all to go if you have an interest in creating their own 3D project.

No comments:

Post a Comment